Thursday, November 18, 2010

Two is my new lucky number

The ultrasound technician showed us two little sacs! Twins!!! She said one was “normal” and the other smaller (some of those technicians just have the worst bedside manner). I have already forgotten what else she said to us, it was so surreal.

After talking to the doctor, he said that the smaller one has a slower heart beat, but that in 90% of the cases, it will be fine. The other 10% of the time the other may not survive. So he said we can be 90% happy and 10% worried. My husband responded by saying that it has been the opposite for us over the last few years, so that should be easy.

If something does happen to the smaller guy, it won’t harm the other one, which was my biggest concern. Obviously I want them both to stay strong, but there’s nothing I can do but take care of myself at this point. I go back for a follow-up ultrasound in two weeks to check on them again.

I got a few instructions: no exercise, no intercourse, and stay on progesterone and baby aspirin for the first trimester.

I am so relieved, but still cautious because I want that sweet little one to catch up to the “bigger” sibling. I would still describe myself as cautiously optimistic, but with more optimism at the moment.

On another note – you may remember my long, rambling post a few weeks ago about the contract position I was offered. Well, I accepted it and then turned it down a few days later (once I found out I was pregnant). A few days after that, I received another call with a permanent job!!! I couldn’t say no to that, so I start in 2.5 weeks. It is an easier commute and shorter hours – all in all, I am very excited. Human resources and the original manager (from the contract position) know that I am pregnant and they still wanted me for the job. I have no idea if my new manager knows, but HR said it won’t be a problem. Hopefully I get my 6 month probationary period over with before mat leave.

Thanks for all your notes everyone!!!

8 comments:

  1. Congratulations! Hang in there, "little" bean!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew it! With those crazy high Betas you had! Woo-hoo! How are you feeling, btw?

    Congrats on the job and congrats on TWO!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew you'd have two in there! Congratulations hon, I'm holding out a massive amount of hope that baby#2 will catch up. xox

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations - that's awesome! So excited for you :) Hoping the little guy catches up really soon..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow congratulations that is awesome news!! On both the twins and the job!!! So glad it is working out for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations!! Such great news....I hope the little one catches up soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am thrilled for you! I will pray that ur litte bun catches up, an easy, safe, full term pregnancy, and for you to have a great experience at ur new job! How exciting to be u right now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW!!! Congratulations!!!!! You are blessed!

    ReplyDelete