Thursday, September 30, 2010

Back in the Stirrups

Well ICLW is over for September - I was not as "attentive" as I had hoped to be, but I read some interesting blogs, and gained a few followers – thanks ladies! My time off is quickly approaching, which will leave me with lots of time to catch up on all of your blogs and contribute to mine.

I’ve already posted to October ICLW in the spirit of being organized. I had to think about my 3 key words – this month they are “first IVF, 2 week wait, and infertility”. My two week wait will be at the end of October, coinciding with ICLW.

As a short update – today was my Day 0; I got my blood and ultrasounds and met with the IVF nurse. It looks like I have about 15 follicles total – I have no idea if that’s average, or a lot, or a few. Once they confirm everything is OK later today, I will start Menopur tomorrow – yeah! My husband is such a pro now with the needles, I hardly even feel them anymore.

I also paid my fees in full - $7,700 for the IVF, ICSI and assisted hatching, and $1,000 for the meds for the first 5 days. All together this little endeavor will cost about $10,000 from my estimate. I paid for it all on my credit card – air miles here I come – and will pay it off using my savings from the last several months. I have been putting money aside from every paycheque to cover this, so at least I won’t be paying interest on this major purchase.

It is all starting to feel very real now. When I was getting my ultrasound this morning, I started thinking about the diagram of the “wand” with the long needle that retrieves the follicles – and then I started to panic a little. I have been getting needles pretty frequently since I was a kid (weekly allergy shots for years), but I still get pretty nervous and anxious about these things. It’s funny, after all this time talking to people in support groups, online, etc. I never thought to ask about the actual “procedure”.

For those of you that have done IVF, how did you find the retrieval? I’m interested to hear people’s experiences, but no horror stories please!

4 comments:

  1. How exciting that you are finally getting ready to start your cycle! I had 13 follicles at my suppression check, and I was told that my RE office likes to see at least 4 on each side. So, 15 sounds like a great number to me! I know what you mean about it starting to feel real. It took a few days for it to sink in for me too.

    I finished my stims and triggered yesterday. I guess I can let you know about the retrieval after tomorrow morning--eeeekkk! I'm quite happy that I will be knocked out for that part!

    Good luck with your stims!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we already made the connection but I am day behind you at this point. I am headed to my baseline visit tomorrow morning so I have no experience with retrieval.
    I haven't reached the "it feels real" part yet, maybe after tomorrow when I (hopefully) get the go ahead. It is pretty great that so far the shots aren't an issue.
    Good luck, I am following you...in more ways than one :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just wanted to let you know that retrieval wasn't bad for me at all. I posted a full run-down on my blog if you care to read it. I only took 1 Tylenol last night before bed so the pain was pretty minor. I'm feeling fine today--just a little swollen but I'm back in my normal jeans.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! 15 eggs is great (so I hear!)! I felt uncomfortable with 6 eggs with my follistim/IUI cycle. How does it feel carrying around 15!?

    I was also so uncomfortable after I ovulated, so I will be interested seeing how you are feeling after retrieval. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete