Monday, October 11, 2010

Decisions, decisions

The last several days have been extremely excruciating. We were told by the clinic that we might want to consider switching to an IUI given that we only had 3 follicles. After a lot of agonizing, we decided to go ahead with the IVF anyways. The feeling being that at least we would have some more additional information about my eggs, and that it really might only take 1 to be successful. Also, my husband being the rational person he is finally said – “its just money”, and he’s right. We have coverage for 80% of the drugs, and the rest is out of pocket. We have a little bit of money set aside for this, and it just didn’t feel right to stop the whole process.

Retrieval was today – it came a bit earlier than planned because they didn’t want my big follicles to get too mature. As of Saturday I had 3 mature follicles, with 3 more lagging, but getting close to a minimum size.

I am happy to report they got 6 eggs – and every follicle had an egg, woohoo! Originally, 6 might have sounded low to me, but faced with going through with only 3, 6 is a blessing.

The retrieval was actually not too bad. I was completely anxious about it, and it turned out to not be as bad as expected, or as bad as I had read about on some other blogs. However, I did let the f-bomb drop when he froze the first side of my cervix. It was also very, very fast, maybe 10 minutes altogether. I suppose all the drugs helped.

Not to say I had an easy time of the whole thing. When the nurse gave me my IV in the prep room, I started to feel really queasy and light headed – my vision was blurring, and I was pretty sure I was going to faint. It started getting worse, so finally I whispered to the nurse that I was feeling faint. She gave me a cold cloth for my head, and then another nurse came in with something to “calm me down”. Turns out it was an Ativan, I wonder if I can get some more of those for this week.

All in all, I am really happy that my husband and I made the decision to go forward with the IVF.

7 comments:

  1. Wow, 6 is great! Hope they are all mature too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woohoo! 6 is great, you must be so pleased with that! I hope you get some good fertilisation results today (well, today my time, might still be yesterday your time! Hehe) GOOD LUCK!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice work, happy you decided to go forward. I hope you get a great fert report!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow so glad that they found 6 after all! So I gather that you were awake for the retrieval. I will be assuming we get to that point eventually. Most of the blogs I read - the woman are put under so needless to say I have a lot of anxiety since my clinic does not put you under either. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @calmly - I was so scared and nervous for the procedure - and the nurses could tell. After I had the IV, she said, this is the worst part, I promise. I never believe it when they say that, but for me it was true. Even though you aren't under, you really won't feel much. good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. congrats! sounds like you made the right decision. i hope everything fertilized and that you're PUPO by now!

    ReplyDelete